Monday, August 4, 2008

And exhale. . .

We just returned from a week in Wisconsin catching up with Todd's side of the family. The girls thoroughly enjoyed the visit, and Todd and I are exhausted from the traveling. Traveling with kids under five is an extreme sport. Mix in Chicago's notorious O'Hare airport, and I can tell you exactly why they don't allow families to sit in the emergency exit rows -- they know you'll jump at some point.

Here are some pictures from our adventures. Every visit to WI includes a stroll on the boardwalk through the WI preserved marsh lands. This is the old road the Grandpa Beyer (Herbie) used to brave to visit Florence when they were a courtin'. Al says he used to drive an old Ford model T down this very road.


Here's a little WI marsh scenery:



Lucy-Goosey and Grandma Beyer on the boardwalk:
This is Isabel's latest pick-me-up tactic. She's rolls up like a pill bug and refuses to move.

Outcome of pill bug tactic:

And they say two year olds are unsophisticated. Haha.

Alan and Heidi:


The other 6 citizens of Waupan WI:


Profile of my favorite 2 yo:



Then it was onto boat rides around Fox Lake, WI.

The captain:


The co-captain:


The first mate:


This is a piece of cake!

Hmmm...I knew the co-captain should have taken a nap.



Look out Lucy!


Yikes. That was close. Maybe you should actually drive with your eyes open. Something to ponder.


OK, now about that nap.



Then we headed to the WI dells to take a duck ride. It was one of those old WWII amphibious vehicles. We loaded up on lollipops and hit Lake Delton. The girls had a blast and I snapped some shots of the cool rock formations on the lake.






The jolly rancher lollipops lasted and distracted the girls for the entire hour ride. I give them a 5 out of 5 and would highly recommended them for duck rides with kids under 5.


This final shot is off of Al and Judy's back deck in the early hours of the morning. It gives you a feel for the peaceful calm that they wake up to each morning. Lucy caught the one and only cat fish but I couldn't get the picture to rotate and upload. You'll have to take her word that it was "this big" and "huge!"



I failed to break out the camera during the Kraus family reunion activities. Too busy eating roasted corn I guess. I'll paste some of Judy's pics when she sends them. The girls had a blast eating, swimming, roasting smores and we caught one firefly.

We're getting resettled and already looking towards preparing for school next month. This summer has flown by.




3 comments:

Sylvia said...

great pictures! isabelle is getting so big! when we met up in albany she hardly had any hair! lucy looks like daddy. :)
glad you had a fun and safe trip. welcome home family! get some rest!
(oh and i LOVE the rolling up pic so isabelle gets her way!! LOL!!)

Cherie Mac said...

Great shots and looks like a wonderfully relaxing vacation -- definitely needed after dealing with airports and air travel. I see so many frazzled parents and upset children and my heart aches for them. Instructions to children: "take off your shoes, give me those toys, give me that blankie, take out that bottle, walk through this long line and then sit around and wait for hours". Oh, and then their tiny eustachian tubes have all that equalizing to do during take-off and landing - and don't get out of that seat belt for several hours! It's hard on adults - let alone our mini-me's. Kid friendly air travel - what a great marketing idea. Disney Airlines!!!!

EricaB said...

Ha! Disney airlines. They would have to medically sedate your children and then serve cocktails with little colorful umbrellas. Did I just say that outloud?