Friday, July 11, 2008

Summertime...

...and the livin' is easy
fish are jumpin' and the cotton is high...

I took the girls to a local park today complete with pond and matching ducks. I watched the walkers, joggers and bikers zip along the path, headphones in ears, watching for piles of green goose poop and checking their watches. Used to be me. Here's what happens when you escort people under 3 feet tall to the park:


Close encounters with ducks of the third kind. Don't let his innocent, ducky looks fool you. He's sly and cunning. We brought him offerings of stale, moldy bread which seemed to appease him.




Contemplating the behavioral and dietary patterns of the local water fowl.


Lucy contemplating the universal laws of the natural world.

Conclusion: g = 9.81 (m/sec)/sec.



Exploring the depths and utilitarian purposes of pockets.

Note: Isabel initially searched for her pockets inside her diaper after pulling her pants down. Lucy gave her some pocket pointers and helped her pull her pants back up. Hey, what are big sisters for?

"What are those brown things?"
"Those are called cattails."
"Why? They don't look like cats."
"No, I guess they don't."
"That's a silly name!"
"Yes, I guess it is a silly name."




Contemplating the intricacies of photosynthesis and the plant's unique ability to fixate atmospheric carbon.


I love this profile shot. I can't keep these baby hairs out of her face. She's like one of those fuzzy ducklings.


And you thought these park visits were mere child's play. My kids have definitely made me slow down...and watch the snails.

2 comments:

Cherie Mac said...

I HAD to comment...I LOVE IT!!!! Thanks for to taking the plunge -- looking forward to more!! (p.s. I always wondered how those plants got the name cattail!) :)

Elizabeth said...

Oh man! I'm so excited! Fantastic stuff and I can't wait to learn more through the eyes of 3ft and under. Used to be me. 3ft and under that is.

PS-pocket photo? priceless.